This week the DC Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB) joins a nation-wide effort to fight fraud by launching the Fraud Awareness Week campaign. Some of the highlights of this week's activities include:
Commissioner Hampton's appearances on News 8's "NewsTalk" program last Friday at 4:00 pm and on Spanish TV Telemundo 64 tomorrow evening at 6:00 pm.
The Office of Communication will be sending out consumer tips in the form of daily newsletters from Monday through Friday, in the following order:
- Monday--Mayor's proclamation and DISB's Enforcement and Investigation Bureau's (EIB) brochure on how to recognize fraud
- Tuesday-Newsletter on identity theft
- Wednesday-Newsletter on banking fraud
- Thursday-Newsletter on insurance fraud
- Friday-Newsletter on securities fraud
On Friday, July 14, DISB will have a table at the Sidewalk Information Fair by the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) to distribute information and answer questions about fraud awareness.
EIB staff is standing by to answer any questions on the subject. The general information line is 202-727-8000 and EIB's line is 202-727-1563.